Thursday, December 19, 2013

Kay the mood-setter

Kay is a master of striking a mood. Chapter XV's Ren section is incredible as it sweeps from melancholic solitude to alarmed shock resisted by a stirred, yet calm, will. It's enough to make me forget about the use of another new perspective character.

Actually, as I get further into Part Two, I'm starting to find that Part One could be cut. Not that leaving it in is an editorial oversight, rather, it's nearly all set up, whereas Part Two has more to do with the novel's actual story. As a reader, it feels like Part One is just a warm up for what follows.

At the same time, without Part One, I'm not sure that Part Two would have the same impact. Perhaps it's just a necessary evil.

Getting back to Kay's many perspective characters, Ren and Lin remain my favourites. I can relate to Ren's strong feeling of purpose, and Lin, as an outsider who is nonetheless in the midst of her society's heart, is downright fascinating. I might be misreading some clues (hopefully I am), but it seems like they might wind up as a couple late in the book. However, from where I stand in both of their arcs, pairing them up would be a terrible mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment