Sunday, December 8, 2013

Power Gloves get!

Well, A Link to the Past just got easier. At the end of my last 20 minute session I grabbed the Ice Rod, bought the second bottle, and got the Power Gloves. The Ice Rod is kind of incidental (like the two pieces of heart I picked up), but the bottle will be incredibly useful for my "no death" goal. Then there're the Power Gloves.

Ah, the Power Gloves. They aren't as devastating to the order of the game as the Titan Mitts are in the Dark World, but these bad boys let me get the Flippers and general potions. And, with the flippers, I can visit the fairy behind the waterfall to get some item upgrades and the fairy in Lake Hylia to boost my item capacities. Plus, I'll be able to swim out to the hobo living under the bridge at Lake Hylia, the very one who gives me bottle number three.

Actually, when I go there, I'll be addressed by name and everything. This has already come up quite a bit in Kakariko Village - but it doesn't happen anywhere else really. The thief-type characters you meet in caves don't use your name, neither does the sage-looking guy in the cave near the Desert Palace. Which leads me to believe that Link is some sort of regular around Kakariko Village.

Of course, Kakariko being the only real town on the world map, this makes sense from a realistic sort of perspective. Link and his uncle don't look like they farm around their house on the hill, so they must deal with the villagers for food and clothing. Perhaps that sort of familiarity is all it is. Link is just another face that the villagers frequently see. Yet, as cool as it would be for Link to have already distinguished himself in some way, that's probably just what it is. Such familiarity would explain why you get people saying that they still trust you in spite of rumours and that you look like a decent enough guy.

Still. It leaves me wondering just what life was like for Link and his uncle before the game begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment