Monday, January 14, 2013

An Awakening Link

Finally, after having a true bout of nostalgic cravings for reliving the Link's Awakening experience that made me the Zelda fan I am today, I got back into the Game Boy spectacular.

Since I played this about 10 years ago, a lot of the minor details seem to have changed from how I remember them. The biggest thing that I remember from the beginning of the game is that you had to go through swarms of enemies with just your shield. Maybe they made it easier for the DX version, but it was pretty breezy running down to the beach and grabbing the sword.

Though, in true Zelda fashion, getting it made me a little too cocky, and the old octorok turn and shoot took out my last half heart. So there's death number one: definitely among the least dignified among ways to go in Zelda games.

I also started up the trading game by winning the Yoshi doll at the crane game, giving it to the woman with the baby, getting a bow that I then gave to the chomp in the doghouse who gave me a can of dog food which Sales the crocodile truly adored before giving me some bananas.

As far as I can remember the monkey just to the east of Sales' house is only good for a steady stream of things to destroy that could turn into rupees (and a need for hearts, if you stop paying attention and swat one of his bombs). So as of right now I don't really know what to do with the bananas.

The other thing that I remember from this game is playing through the hacked version that sexualized everything. I guess at the time, without consoles to hack and soft-mod, upstart programmers preferred to make old games into sexy times. Final Fantasy III/VI got similar treatment, though playing through that to note all the script changes and such would've been pretty tiresome.

Anyway, according to Did You Know Gaming, the sexualization of Link's Awakening was also present in a German translation. In this version the Buzz Blob monsters, when sprinkled with fairy dust, say "Not without a condom" and/or "Give me your juice, I'll give you mine."

All in all it was a good opening run for Link's Awakening DX, though it was also maddening since that crane game's already proven to be unforgiving. All I want is the bomb bag, but it keeps slipping through the claw's grasp!

At least I've figured out that you need the conveyor belt to make a full circle to get what you're after. So - you need to start the crane just as whatever you're after is getting onto the upwards conveyor belt at the screen's far right. Then, bring the crane down the the spot in the downward conveyor belt where the line of the rightward conveyor belt intersects it. Since I kept getting closer and closer, using this, it should work. But we'll need to wait until next time to see if it's just so.

What are some of the games that started you into gaming as a serious hobby, or as an avid fan of a franchise? Leave your own picks in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment