Monday, January 21, 2013

Jaime as a Living Chronicle


The character of Jaime continues to impress me.

Stripped down to the basics, it's simple enough. Badass tough guy, who's cruised through life based on his excellence, is stripped of that excellence, but not of the responsibilities that he had as a result of it. And, so lacking, he must find a way to forge onwards without that which made him great. It's a curious thing, but used to great effect here. But why? What makes this application so special? It's hard to put into words, I think. But I may as well try, right?

It's the history that comes out of it, for the most part. Jaime is a receptacle of the chivalry and knighthood of Westeros' past 20 or so years. As such he's like a living monument to those days. A sort of veteran who is still active, still making the history that he began before he was maimed and lost his skill with the sword.

And that makes him interesting to me, particularly.

A large part of this interest is certainly the fact that the history of the knights of Westeros really interests me, not the least of which being the Sword of the Morning, though I think that his role in the story has nearly played out.

As far as Jon's parentage goes, I'm firmly in the "he's Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryean's" camp. If such a thing exists.

Jaime's psychology is also something with which I'm rapt. I look forward to working further with it as I read through the rest of the series. However, I've got to admit that, aside from Jaime's personality and changing character, there wasn't anything that stood out about this chapter. There's a dream sequence that's curious if compared to Brienne's, but, without a fever, Jaime's dreams are apt to make more sense than those of the Maid of Tarth.

No comments:

Post a Comment