Saturday, May 4, 2013

Away Game Special: Demos of the Day

After hearing about them for weeks on Radio Free Nintendo and the Famicast, I finally tried my hand at Mutant Mudds and HarmoKnight. Both experiences were just demos, but they both showed what each game is all about.

HarmoKnight might be the first rhythm game that I can actually play somewhat well. Some attacks missed their mark, and the trickier jump sequences consistently tripped me up, but it's definitely a game I would play more of. Part of the reason for this is that the game's visual style and comic-book-like cutscenes are very endearing.

Mutant Mudds was also a great demo, and it's got me interested in more of the game. But, I find myself interested in it in the same way I'm interested in the old sidescrolling Mega Man games. It looks and plays like it would be a decent challenge, but ultimately there wasn't much that set it apart from other sidescrolling shooters. The jet pack is cool, and probably has several upgrades (as does your water cannon), but, without any of these things in the demo, it seems more generic than HarmoKnight.

I also played through the demo of the Art of Balance TOUCH!. Unfortunately, its demo is just too short. You can play through several balancing puzzles, but, as with Mutant Mudds, I don't think enough of the game's unique mechanics are really showcased. As you play through each puzzle, they get more and more difficult, but nothing really spectacular is shown.

So, of the three demos I tried, HarmoKnight came out on top. This game is, in and of itself, a spectacle. However, whether or not it's spectacular is another question, one that can only be answered by buying it and playing through more.

No comments:

Post a Comment