Friday, January 3, 2014

Mindful grinding

Playing a bit more of Pokemon Diamond after making a trade showed me something. Along with being a classic J-RPG, the game has some puzzle elements, too. In fact, every J-RPG with a regular, battle-based experience system does.

I've just started catching Pokemon and the Bidoof, Starly, and Shinx I now have were caught at level two or three. So I decided to grind them up to level five. At this point the puzzle element of the game kicked in.

The wild Pokemon I was fighting generally used either tackle or growl. Thus, they tended to do the same amount of damage per turn. With this information in mind, I could easily predict how many turns my lead pokemon could last. This knowledge allowed me to predict the number of battles they could go through alone, allowing me to foresee how long they could go before needing to change my lead.

Such a puzzle is perhaps nothing compared to those any Professor Layton game offers, but it's still something that brings a little thought to otherwise mindless grinding.

No comments:

Post a Comment