Friday, January 24, 2014

StreetPass questions spurred by Nintendo Zone visits

Why is it so much fun to StreetPass someone? And why does playing the little StreetPass games and collecting puzzle pieces feel so rewarding?

After my second visit to a Nintendo Zone (StreetPass relay points at McDonald's/Future Shops/Best Buys), these are the questions that I'm left with.

A large part of the experience is the novelty. As far as I know, there isn't another console feature or set of games that relies on passing other people to use it.

Multiplayer exists for many titles, sure, but StreetPass just requires you to pass by someone who also has a 3DS (sleeping or active) on them.

A few times now, I've brought my 3DS with me to work or shopping and have come home only to found that someone I would otherwise not even be aware of had passed me in my toils or travels. So surprise can be added to the feature's fun appeal, too. It's kind of like getting mail, but in a system where junk mail is practically non-existent.

Come to think of it, that seems to be the bulk of it. The StreetPass feature is powered by surprise meetings with people that remain, for the most part, entirely mysterious. What could be more interesting than that sort of known unknown?

Do you find yourself eagerly awaiting your next StreetPass? Feel free to write why in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment