Saturday, January 4, 2014

Reading into Quiet

To kick off the new year, I'm going to read one of the books that I was given for Christmas. Since that narrows it down to The Book of Medieval Puzzles and Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, I've gone with the latter. There's no need for me to blog about being stumped in these book entries along with my entries about video games after all.

Susan Cain's Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking has pulled me right in. Cain's conversational style and embedded anecdotes make for a quick read. At the same time her informal references to studies and theories (and the people behind them) assure all but the most skeptical of readers that she's definitely done her homework. True doubters can find plenty to dispel their worries in the 46 pages of notes Cain tucked into her book's back. Not that her overview of how North American (well, American), culture shifted from an emphasis on character to an emphasis on personality requires you to peek back at her notes.

I am, however, worried that I'll not be as surprised by answers to questions like "Can introverts be good leaders?" as the introduction implies I will be. Though thinking that far ahead only confirms what the first 40 pages have suggested: I am an introvert.

No comments:

Post a Comment