Tuesday, October 22, 2013

My quest grinds to a halt

The Ragin' Contagion is definitely angry. Despite its two attacks per turn, penchant for draining defense, and ability to inflict poison, I took it much too lightly on my first attempt on it. Though, I do admire the localization team's efforts in giving it a slightly Southern US accent. It's definitely there just to complete the reference to a "Ragin' Cajun," but it suits the game's ever so slight goofy quality.

What surprised me about the place where the beast is fought is that it presents a puzzle that's straight out of all the classic RPGs: a light reflection puzzle. All the mirrors for it are in place, the stone slab near the tomb's entrance is inscribed with a clear little bit of poetry about sending the red light to the red door and the blue light to the blue. Everything's lined up for a solid puzzle.

But then it's all done automatically. The mirrors are already in position. The beams of light just shoot right into their respective doors after switches are hit. It's a little disappointing that such a puzzle is so easily solved. Though I am thankful that this game has so far avoided the brainteaser-level of some of the puzzles in Lufia II.

However, no punches are pulled with this boss.

It's pretty clear that I need to, at the very least, upgrade up my equipment. Kleftis (my party's thief) is already something of a fiend, hitting harder than my main character most of the time. My wizard, Thoth, is fairly balanced but could probably use some defense-boosting accessory. As per my main character, everything's fine with him, though maybe some greater defensive items are also necessary to keep him alive.

Of course, to afford the best of the best at this point in the game, I'm going to have to farm some gold from battles. So, just as it would often arise in several of the old classics, I've reached a point in Dragon Quest IX where I have to grind.

No comments:

Post a Comment