Thursday, October 17, 2013

Swinging through Wellspring

Wellspring Steeple just became much more interesting. Amidst my wandering, I came into an entirely new room. Though, more importantly, I found a scientist's text about a fish that he created. At first I was sure that this fish would be the tower's master. But, much to my relief, it's just a nuisance enemy in the adjoining room - that newly discovered one. Actually, it's that room that holds the master, so I'll soon see just what it is.

Of course, the fish from the text being in the next room doesn't mean that the tower's master won't be a different kind of fish, but I'm heartened by the possibility that it won't be. Somehow, I imagine it will be a more powered up version of the aquatic servant beasts. Though so far the game's boss chambers have been uniform - large, cylindrical rooms with the master waiting at the center. Unless there's a big pool in the center, it seems unlikey that I'll be facing a fish in Wellspring Steeple.

Speculation about the game's next boss aside, I find the swinging mechanic really frustrating. Too often do I find myself flinging Aeron off and into his doom, missing the aimed-at platform by an arm's length. In part, this is due to the game's fixed camera - it's hard to judge distance when you're always given a different context for that judgment. Maybe the developers were aware of this and tried to compensate with Aeron's flipping to face the side that he's coming closest to, but that little animation also throws me, more often than not.

It seems that once again Zelda has spoiled me. I mean, how can you fall to your doom when you can rotate the camera to check your distance or actually see the ground rising up beneath you?

No comments:

Post a Comment