Monday, June 24, 2013

Away Game Special: Feverishly arhythmic

On the DS, the flicks and taps threw me for countless loops. But on the Wii, Rhythm Heaven (Rhythm Heaven Fever, to be precise) is strangely easy. I've only worked through three games so far, but each completion that's moved me forward has been far from perfect. Rhythm Heaven on the DS, comparitively, seems bent on making its players rhythm machines.

This leniency in the Wii version is welcome, though. Especially since my sense of rhythm is far from excellent. I'm sure I'm improving, but as the games have gotten more complex, I've fell to more of a reliance on the game's visuals and its music together. Following this mix of cues has served me fairly well, but I wonder how long it'll go on before rhythm becomes more second nature and the visual cues can be put aside.

There's something mystical about getting a good flow in any Rhythm Heaven game, and this is strangely helped by the very Japanese-styled, goofy, and bizarre imagery and characters on display throughout them. Perhaps they might even become distracting.

No comments:

Post a Comment