Saturday, February 1, 2014

Considering a new career in Dragon Quest IX

I think it's about time that I changed jobs. In Dragon Quest IX, I mean.

The game's job system is just a bit too clunky, though. The job levels are tied to your characters' levels, the skills have a somewhat incredible cost considering you just get four points per level, and to change jobs you need to talk to certain people. Granted, most of those people are at Alltrades Abbey. But others, like the person who changes your job to Ranger, can be quite far from the beaten track.

Yet, if the recent fight with Tyrantula is any indication, I need more of a healer with me. My mage, Thoth, is fine enough with offensive magic and status-effect spells, but he was the singular casualty in the fight. And just two turns before the fatal blow was landed, too.

Truth be told, had it not been for the spread of curative items across my party, I'm not sure that any of them would have made it.

Group attacks and spells are something that my party and a few enemy parties have at this point in the game. But I've yet to come across any sort of party-wide healing spell or item. When a boss is laying into you with double group attacks on each of their double turns, that sort of thing would make fights much more streamlined. A few powered up version of the single-enemy offensive spells would help things along, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment