Friday, February 7, 2014

Learning to Zing in Dragon Quest IX

Peridot's not quite caught up, level-wise, but it's time to move forward in Dragon Quest IX. Why? Because the monopoly of the churches has been further shaken.

My main character, Nizk, just learned a little spell called "Zing." It is a resurrect spell, though its description notes that it sometimes fails. Which gets me thinking.

Does the church's resurrection option have a success rate, or does it just always work? I mean, the priest says something along the lines of 'if it is your will, oh, Almighty, bring so-and-so back!'

Does it ever fail?

Is it ever not the Almighty's will to restore a character to life?

Is there a situation or scenario in which a bunch of variables align and a character can never be resurrected at a church?

Since there's no moral alignment in this game, it seems unlikely. But so too does a Pokémon catching a disease that even the Pokémon center can't treat.

What gaining the power to resurrect means going forward is that I no longer need to retreat if one of my party falls in battle. It also means that I can work my way through bosses without needing to worry about party members missing experience.

In the bigger picture, it feels like Dragon Quest IX just opened up a little bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment