Monday, February 17, 2014

Grinding and jobs in Dragon Quest IX

Well, going and getting the fygg from Swinedimples Academy had no adverse effects on my game in Dragon Quest IX. Getting the fygg from Gleeba went off without a hitch.

Other than the fact that despite having a "Magic Key" I still can't open prison cell doors. Ah well.

At least the boss battle - a fight with Queen Voluptua's enlarged pet lizard - went incredibly well. No one died, and only minimal healing was needed. Such is to be expected from jumping ahead and then turning back, though.

Nonetheless, although I've taken an alternate route to this point in the game, I feel like Dragon Quest IX's bosses are lacking.

So far the only real strategy that's been needed is keeping a watchful eye on everyone's HP and getting your party's fastest members to heal the others - especially when someone's barely hanging onto life. Sure, certain enemies are resistant and weak to certain types of magics, but elemental advantage counts for little. Attacking an enemy with the right spell might add 10 to 20 more damage to your strike, but it's not like something weak to fire also gets burned, or something weak to water gets sopping and has its speed attribute take a hit.

All of that said, I am having fun playing the game. But I also find myself wishing that there was a way aside from grinding (or playing through events out of the "set" order) to topple powerful (boss) enemies.

Gaining more skill points at level ups would be a good start.

I'm only really upgrading two skill sets per character as it is, but I'm at the point where abilities and power ups are at least 10 points apart. Gaining 5 allocatable skill points per level means that if I concentrate on just one skill set abilities are two levels apart.

Having played Final Fantasy games with job systems such a long wait for job-specific abilities seems ridiculous to me. And, once again, I'm stumped as to why there aren't two different kinds of experience points in Dragon Quest IX: One kind for character levels and another for job levels. Were such the case then different monsters could at least offer more of one or the other, and gaining job-related skills wouldn't be so sluggishly tied to regular level building.

No comments:

Post a Comment