Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Moore Marianne, less Syllabic Speak

Up to this point, Hollander's been good about keeping the discussion fairly simple. But, once he gets into Marianne Moore, he starts talking about the syllabic qualities of hers and of other poets. This is where my eyes really glaze over and I just try to find the nut of sense within it all. Truly, there's little here except what for me are fragments that can be pieced together so that the whole can be guessed at.

However, though hearing stress is something I've always struggled with, Marianne Moore truly does have some lovely stuff. I mean, I get puns, even if talk of isosyllabic poetry leaves me blinking at the page as if it just did something obscene.

But, that sort of thing's to be expected, really, Hollander does no hand holding in his book, and all of it that zeroes in on syllables and stresses is no exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment