Monday, April 29, 2013

Starting to Understand Radiant Historia

I can't say why I didn't try it before. Maybe, when just starting the game, I hit "X" and skipped over the dialogue telling me about it. But the "Start" button is my new favourite button while playing Radiant Historia. For, as I've mentioned before the game has you jumping between nodes in time, key events that either stand at forks in the timelines or that are of great importance.

Since these nodes are at such events, cutscenes are almost always ready and waiting for you after the jump. But, by pressing "Start," these scenes can be completely skipped over. If I had been told directly about this, it definitely wouldn't have the same effect, but it's definitely a huge relief. With this knowledge in mind, I feel like jumping back and forth between nodes won't be nearly as much of a pain as I had feared.

Oh, and in my previous attempts to find the firewood in the Spec Int timeline, I was glitching the game out.

It seems that you need to get the hidden withered branches in a set order, starting with the closest one to the camp and then going further and further away. There's one on a short narrow path that needs to be last so that you trigger Aht's telling Stocke about her secret place at the South Hill. Then, when you go to the hill, you not only find the final branch, but also get attacked by a wild boar. This initiates the section's boss battle (a complete breeze after digging so deeply into the Army timeline), and then lets you go back to the camp triumphant.

So, why am I working my way down the Spec Int timeline now, after getting to the point where I need to fix Rosch's gauntlet on the army timeline?

Stocke notes that the gauntlet problem is the most difficult to solve yet. Given such a statement, the most obvious solution is that both timelines are going to be necessary to move forward. And, with the "Start" button just millimetres from my thumb, moving forward will be easier than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment