Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Power of Colour Revealed


The extra dungeon in the DX edition of Link's Awakening is far less difficult than expected. This lack of difficulty is actually rather disappointing, since it puts the Game Boy Colour's namesake ability to good use.

In said dungeon there're some radial switch puzzles, a boss that needs to be hit consecutively enough times to turn red, and floor tiles that bounce you until they turn from green to yellow to red to nothing. But it took all of 10 minutes to finish.

This brevity and simplicity (though the puzzle concepts introduced are refreshing for a Zelda game) reminds me of the "Cave of Ordeals"-type areas in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Plus, you meet a Great Fairy at the end of the dungeon who grants you the power of colour - a red or blue tunic that increases your offensive or defensive power.

Reading in a walkthrough that zero deaths gives you a different ending, and thus the blue tunic is a better choice, I went with red since I've already bought a handful of farms on this play-through. Maybe, after I've worked my way entirely through my Games List I'll do a no death run of every Zelda game - maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment