Friday, February 22, 2013

Smelling Great, Healing Mates


Its core mechanic - collecting rupees to pay for everything (and getting rupees for doing most things) - sounds like it should get boring quickly. But the more I play Rosy Rupeeland, the more I'm finding the opposite to be true.

The game has some kind of charm - maybe in its colours, or its cartoonish graphics. Whatever the case, the game has this sense of charm and whimsy about it that keeps it fresh. Like some sort of late 20th century Japanese game show, you never know what's going to appear next, and that sense of mystery draws me through all of the rupee gathering and ingredient hunting.

Actually, I find myself flush with useless ingredients at the moment. I have enough to cobble together pieces of recipes here and there, but so many are missing single ingredients that it's kind of frustrating. Though the only recipes that I've gotten in-game use out of, aside from simply selling them, are Tingly and One Love. My bodyguards are taking more heat lately, and so the Tingly's a great preservative, and sheep and cattle run away from combat, so using the perfume is an excellent way to draw them in.

Now, though, the time for livestock baiting and bodyguard healing has passed, and the time to enter the Deku Tree has arrived. Yes, Tingle is entering the Deku Tree - stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment